Go Back   Celica Forums - Celispeed.com > Celica Generations > 5th Generation Celica (ST182/184/185)
User Name
Password
  Sign Up   Upload Pic(s)   Rules   Arcade   Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wiring on a 3sgte swap

5th Generation Celica (ST182/184/185) [1990-1993]  

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Misfire

Misfire has no reputation among the people
Last On: 05-15-2006 10:27 PM

Wiring on a 3sgte swap

So I dropped out the 5sfe that was in my car and swapped in a 3sgte. The physical swap was simple as you all know but now it's coming down to the last of the wiring.

I've got three plugs left and am not sure where they belong.

One is an oval three pin female end that has a red w/blue, a blue w/black, and a blue wire running out of the back.

The second is a larger round seven pin female end with a red w/ yellow, a red w/ green, a pink w/ blue(maybe black), a grey w/ black, a grey, a grey w/ black, and a grey w/ red wire. This wire is near the Mass Air Flow Sensor.

The last is a three pin triangular male head with a pink, a black, and a yellow wire. This is near the transmission.

If anyone know what these are supposed to run to it would be a great help.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in Technorati
Old 04-29-2006, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
sponsored ads

evo is on a distinguished road

Old 05-01-2006, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Locker
Workin on the Alltrac

Locker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud of
Last On: Yesterday 08:33 AM
Vehicle: 1990 alltrac
2nd Vehicle: Lude & accord
Send a message via MSN to Locker

post up pic's of the plugs and where they are located in the engine bay and we can be more help. You should have a few plugs left over just a matter of which ones.

does she run?
Old 05-01-2006, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Misfire

Haven't tried to start her up yet. I wanted to make sure I had all the plugs in place first.

These are the three plugs I have left. All the others I've found a home for. Also have to finish wiring an ecu body plug.

Old 05-01-2006, 04:05 PM   #4 (permalink)
Locker
Workin on the Alltrac

Locker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud ofLocker has much to be proud of

Plug 1 is your electronice speed sensor. its fine
Plug 2 looks as though its the one that should plug into your 5sfe tranny.
Plug 3 Im pretty sure is for AC as with the last unless you do not have your fuel injector resistor pack. very similar looking plug. where exactly is that in the engine bay?
Tyrone can you vouch on plug 2 and 3 as Im not 100% positive and my harness is in barrie right now so I cannot check.

Your car should be ready to start by the sounds of it. Let us know how it goes and post some pics.

did you just do a straight out swap or did you do any extra upgrades.

BTW great questions!!!! Most new guys don't even know what question they are trying to find the answer to. I take it you did all the work yourself?
Old 05-01-2006, 04:06 PM   #5 (permalink)
MartinGouda
USE THE SEARCH FEATURE!!!

MartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud of
Last On: 04-25-2011 05:42 PM
Vehicle: DelsolTurboN2O
2nd Vehicle: Talon TSI AWD
Send a message via ICQ to MartinGouda Send a message via AIM to MartinGouda Send a message via MSN to MartinGouda Send a message via Yahoo to MartinGouda Send a message via Skype to MartinGouda

you'll fit in nicely.
Old 05-01-2006, 04:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Locker
Workin on the Alltrac

Tyrone!
If you have them saved can you send me what you have on converting the MR2 tranny to FWD. I'd appreciate it!
Old 05-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
Misfire

Yeah, I did do all the work myself.

I also changed over all the vacuum lines while I had it out to vibrant performance silicone vacuum lines. I changed all the clamps on the rad hoses, changed over to NGK Performance plugs, and NGK Iridum Spark Plugs.

I also have that XS POWER Turbo Manifold you have a pic of there, plus I changed over to a three inch exhaust.

I upgraded the suspension to Dropzone Lowering Springs (1.5"), KYB Shocks and Struts, Drilled and Sloted Rotors, and Raybestos ceramic brake pads.

I got the all-trac hood so I left the original intercooler in place.

I've actually reattached the front wheel drive tranny onto the 3sgte with the my original clutch plate and the flywheel and pressure plate from the 3sgte.

So if the plugs are what you think they are, then I should be able to run the car as it is?
Old 05-01-2006, 11:26 PM   #8 (permalink)
90CelicaGT-S

90CelicaGT-S will become famous soon enough
Last On: 04-29-2007 08:31 PM
Send a message via MSN to 90CelicaGT-S

Nice work. I can't identify the plugs for you, but if they are what Locker says and you can start it up that's awesome. Only problem I see for you is when you actually try to put power to the ground, stock tranny can hold it for a good while if you make sure you load it and not just dump the clutch, but your stock clutch on the other hand will not like trying to hold 100 extra hp.
Old 05-02-2006, 01:46 AM   #9 (permalink)
Misfire

The stock isn't quite stock. It's a centerforce stage 1 clutch. In about six months, once I recover from this swap financially I'm going to switch over to an ACT stage 2 and a lightweight fidanza flywheel.

One more question about the wiring. The ECU has two plugs from the engine and one from the body. The original body plug had to be removed since it did not fit the ecu and the body plug from the all-trac had to be spliced in.

Both plugs have thirteen wires, but the wires are not color coded the same. My question is does anyone know what color wire on the body goes to what color wire on the plug?
Old 05-02-2006, 09:45 AM   #10 (permalink)
Turboo

Turboo can only hope to improve
Last On: 11-06-2007 04:56 PM
Send a message via MSN to Turboo

Good job, the one thing I have always been worried about is twisting off my axles b/c the original 5SFE axles are thiner than the MR2 or All-trac axles. Make sure to launch cautciously...

Back to your questions about the plugs, I'll confirm when I go back home tonight.

1) Not sure... I think its the throttle body sensor
2) That connects to the driver side 5SFE tranny on the top.
3) Don't use, it belongs to the GT-4 tranny.
Lamborghini yellow
Dropped F/R 1.5\"
Indiglo gauges, boost, oil, temp
GT-4 Hood
Rebuilt tranny and axles
Old 05-02-2006, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
Locker
Workin on the Alltrac

turboo... Are you going by the pictures or the original thread. I went by the pics
Old 05-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
3sgte@daspeedof
Hi-Tech

3sgte@daspeedof has a spectacular aura about3sgte@daspeedof has a spectacular aura about
Last On: 01-23-2013 02:06 AM
Vehicle: 3sgte-5th gen
2nd Vehicle: 92 5th gen celi
Send a message via MSN to 3sgte@daspeedof Send a message via Yahoo to 3sgte@daspeedof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locker
Plug 1 is your electronice speed sensor. its fine
Plug 2 looks as though its the one that should plug into your 5sfe tranny.
Plug 3 Im pretty sure is for AC as with the last unless you do not have your fuel injector resistor pack. very similar looking plug. where exactly is that in the engine bay?
Tyrone can you vouch on plug 2 and 3 as Im not 100% positive and my harness is in barrie right now so I cannot check.

Your car should be ready to start by the sounds of it. Let us know how it goes and post some pics.

did you just do a straight out swap or did you do any extra upgrades.

BTW great questions!!!! Most new guys don't even know what question they are trying to find the answer to. I take it you did all the work yourself?

1. correct, or it could maybe be your map sensor plug
2. Yes that looks like the plug for your tranny for reverse lights
3. Is correct too.

About your ecu I'll have to get back to you about this when I get back in town
Old 05-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #13 (permalink)
Misfire

Plug 1: I found a "sensor assembly" that looks like it should fit but the plug is slotted and it doesn't fit.

Plug 2: Okay, so I got under the car a few minutes ago, and that triangular plug is attached to the tranny at the speedo cable and there's nothing within range for it to plug into. I already have a plug in the top of the tranny.

Plug 3: The resistor is already plugged in so it must have been for AC.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
MartinGouda
USE THE SEARCH FEATURE!!!

MartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud ofMartinGouda has much to be proud of
Last On: 04-25-2011 05:42 PM
Vehicle: DelsolTurboN2O
2nd Vehicle: Talon TSI AWD
Send a message via ICQ to MartinGouda Send a message via AIM to MartinGouda Send a message via MSN to MartinGouda Send a message via Yahoo to MartinGouda Send a message via Skype to MartinGouda

where in canada are you located and what color is the car
Old 05-02-2006, 04:12 PM   #15 (permalink)
Locker
Workin on the Alltrac

Ok so if plug one is what Tyrone and I believe it be from you do not need it. It was meant to plug into the Alltrac Tranny.

Plug 2 Im a tad confused on right now since you say you already have your tranny pluged in.

Plug 3 looks like were OK then.

I'd try to start the car and see what happends personally. And as Martin said where in Canada are you? If your in the GTA I'd be happy to stop by and see if I could provide some insight
Old 05-02-2006, 10:21 PM   #16 (permalink)
Misfire

I'm in the lower mainland of British Columbia.

What I think plug two was for the electronic speedometer of the JDM gauge cluster.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
Locker
Workin on the Alltrac

did you try and start it?
Old 05-03-2006, 09:38 AM   #18 (permalink)
Turboo

Turboo can only hope to improve
Last On: 11-06-2007 04:56 PM
Send a message via MSN to Turboo

Thats weird there was only one triangular plug on my harness. Start it up!!!
Lamborghini yellow
Dropped F/R 1.5\"
Indiglo gauges, boost, oil, temp
GT-4 Hood
Rebuilt tranny and axles
Old 05-03-2006, 10:16 AM   #19 (permalink)
CiRiS91GT

CiRiS91GT is a splendid one to beholdCiRiS91GT is a splendid one to beholdCiRiS91GT is a splendid one to beholdCiRiS91GT is a splendid one to beholdCiRiS91GT is a splendid one to beholdCiRiS91GT is a splendid one to behold
Last On: 05-14-2014 02:45 PM
Vehicle: '91 AllTrac
2nd Vehicle: '91 Celica GT
Send a message via MSN to CiRiS91GT

thats a shame you dont live in toronto or even ontario, i wanna see when she is all done, post pics of your car?
Old 05-03-2006, 02:34 PM   #20 (permalink)
3sgte@daspeedof
Hi-Tech

3sgte@daspeedof has a spectacular aura about3sgte@daspeedof has a spectacular aura about
Last On: 01-23-2013 02:06 AM
Vehicle: 3sgte-5th gen
2nd Vehicle: 92 5th gen celi
Send a message via MSN to 3sgte@daspeedof Send a message via Yahoo to 3sgte@daspeedof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfire
I'm in the lower mainland of British Columbia.

What I think plug two was for the electronic speedometer of the JDM gauge cluster.

Exactly what it is, just leave it unhooked, as well did you extend the wires from the driverside diagnostic box to the other side of the car.

If you don't have ac or the cruise actuator then you will have a few more plugs with no where to go by the alternater.

Lets see pics now